HOMESITEMAPKOREAN
 
¡ă Parujeong, Jibokjae, Hyeopgildang
(from left to right)

 
¡ă The ceiling of Jibokjae.
     
These three palace buildings(from left to right) are Parujeong, Jibokjae and Hyeopgildang. They were originally built in the precincts of Changdeokgung, but were moved to Gyeongbokgung in 1888 when King Gojong relocated his official residence there. King Gojong used the buildings as an art hall in which to enshrine royal portraits, a library and an audience hall for the reception of foreign envoys. Records show that in 1893 the king granted five audiences to foreign envoys from Great Britain, Japan and Austria.
The architectural style of Jibokjae differs significantly from that of other palace buildings, clearly displaying the influence of Chinese architecture, which at that time was regarded as ¡°modern¡± by Korean builders.
 
¡ă Jibokjae in 1990's   ¡ă Hyeopgildang
Visitor Information About the Palace Preview Gyeongbokgung Palace Office
161. Sajik-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul, 110-820, Republic of Korea. Tel : 82-2-3700-3900. Fax : 82-2-3700-3909.