¡ã Hyangwonjeong Pavilion
When Geoncheonggung Palace Residence was built, King Gojong redesigned the Palace's back garden. An artificial islet was created in the middle of the pond, on which a hexagonal pavilion was built with the name Hyangwonjeong Pavilion, meaning the ¡°Pavilion of Far-Reaching Fragrance¡± The bridge across the pond was named Chwihyanggyo, meaning "intoxicated with fragrance."
In 1873, when King Gojong built Geoncheonggung Palace, he had a pond dug to the south, with an islet created in the middle. A two-tier hexagonal pavilion, built on the islet, was named Hyangwonjeong Pavilion and the wooden bridge leading to it was called Chwihyanggyo.
¡ã The old Hyangwonjeong Pavilion and the southern enclosure of the Geoncheonggung Palace Residence.
¡ã The water from this spring
the source of Hyangwonji Pond, flows to Gyeonghoeru Pavilion Pond before exiting the Palace.
Chwihyanggyo Bridge was the longest wooden bridge constructed on a pond during the Joseon Dynasty. At present, the wooden bridge from the south provides access to the islet, but the bridge was originally on the north side to be reached from Geoncheonggung Palace. In 1953, the bridge was moved to the south side of the pond. The sources of the pond are underground water and a spring coming down from the mountain at the back of the Palace. The water eventually flows into the pond where Gyeonghoeru Pavilion stands.
Visitor Information About the Palace Preview Gyeongbokgung Palace Office
161. Sajik-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul, 110-820, Republic of Korea. Tel : 82-2-3700-3900. Fax : 82-2-3700-3909.