This compound was where the crown prince
lived with the crown princess, while he
was in training for the throne. The Crown
Prince's Compound consisted of two main
buildings Jaseondang and Bihyeongak along
with a lecture hall for the prince(Chunbang)
and the building for security(Gyebang).
The Crown Prince's Compound was not built
when Gyeongbokgung was first constructed
but was added in 1427 during King Sejong's
reign. While King Munjong(r. 1450-1452)
was crown prince, his son, who became King
Danjong(r. 1452-1455), was born in Jaseondang.
After Gyeongbokgung was rebuilt in the late
19th century, King Sunjong(r. 1907-1910)
The current buildings were rebuilt in 1999
; only Jaseondang and Bihyeongak have been
restored. To the north of the compound was
the royal kitchen.
The Crown Prince's Compound seen
from Geonchunmun Gate.
This blueprint of the Crown Prince's
residence is part of the 1890's
Blueprint of the Northern Palace.