It was in 1395, three years after the Joseon
Dynasty was founded by King Taejo (Yi Seong-gye), when the construction of the main royal Palace was completed after the capital of the newly founded dynasty moved from Gaeseong to Seoul (then known as Hanyang). The Palace was named Gyeongbokgung Palace, the "Palace Greatly Blessed by Heaven." With Mount Bugaksan to its rear and Mount Namsan in
the foreground, the site of Gyeongbokgung Palace was at the heart of Seoul and, indeed, deemed auspicious according to the traditional practice of geomancy. In front of Gwanghwamun Gate, the main entrance to the Palace, ran Yukjo-geori (Street of Six Ministries, today's Sejongno), home to major government offices. Along the central axis upon which Gwanghwamun Gate stood was the nucleus of the Palace, including the throne hall, council hall and king's residence.
The government ministry district and main buildings of Gyeongbokgung Palace formed the heart of the capital city of Seoul and represented the sovereignty of the Joseon Dynasty. After all the Palaces in the capital were razed by the Japanese during the Hideyoshi invasions of 1592-'98, Changdeokgung Palace, a secondary Palace, was rebuilt and served as the main Palace. Gyeongbokgung Palace was left derelict for the next 273 years. It was finally reconstructed in 1867 by the order of the Prince Regent. The Palace Prince Regent Heungseon reconstructed was markedly different from the original. Some 500 buildings were built on a site of over 40 hectares and constituted a small city. The architectural principles of ancient China were harmoniously incorporated into both the tradition and the appearance of the Joseon royal court. Gyeongbokgung Palace was largely torn down during the Japanese occupation. ninety three percent of the restored buildings were dismantled, Gwanghwamun Gate was dismantled and relocated to the east, and an enormous building housing the Japanese Government-General was constructed in front of the main sector of the Palace. An effort to fully restore Gyeongbokgung Palace to its former glory has been ongoing since 1990. The Japanese Government-General building was finally removed, and Heungnyemun Gate was restored to its original state. The royal living quarters and the East Palace for the crown prince were also restored to their original state.
  1392 (the first year of King Taejo)
1394 (the third year of King Taejo)

1395 (the fourth year of King Taejo)

1398 (the seventh year of King Taejo)
Joseon Dynasty is founded.
The Office of Palace Construction is established in the new capital. The capital is moved from Gaegyeong(currently Gaeseong) to Hanyang (currently Seoul).
The Royal Ancestral Shrine(Jongmyo), the National Altars of Earth and Crops(Sajikdan) and Gyeongbokgung Palace are established.
The walls of Gyeongbokgung Palace are built.
  1412 (the 12th year of King Taejong)
1427 (the ninth year of King Sejong)
1429 (the 11th year of King Sejong)
1431 (the 13th year of King Sejong)
1432 (the 14th year of King Sejong)
1433 (the 15th year of King Sejong)
1434 (the 16th year of King Sejong)

1438 (the 20th year of King Sejong)

1443 (the 25th year of King Sejong)
1456 (the second year of King Sejo)
1474 (the fifth year of King Seongjong)
Gyeonghoeru Pavilion is renovated.
Jaseondang Hall is built in the Crown Prince's Compound.
Sajeongjeon Hall and Gyeonghoeru Pavilion are rebuilt.
Gwanghwamun Gate is rebuilt.
Munsojeon Hall is built.
Sinmumun Gate is built. Gangnyeongjeon Hall is rebuilt.
A new bell is hung at Gwanghwamun Gate. Borugak Pavilion is built and Jagyeongnu, a water clock, is installed. Yungmunnu Pavilion and Yungmuru Pavilion are repaired.
Heumgyeonggak Pavilion is built. Ongnugiryun, an astronomical water clock , is installed.
Gyejodang Hall and Gyotaejeon Halls are built.
Chwirojeong Pavilion is built.
Blue tiles are mounted on the roof of Geunjeongjeon Hall, the Throne Hall.
  1543 (the 38th year of King Jungjong)
1563 (the eighth year of King Myeongjong)

1592 (the 25th year of King Seonjo)
The Crown Prince's Compound is destroyed by fire.
Gangnyeongjeon Hall and Sajeongjeon Halls and Heumgyeonggak Pavilion are destroyed by fire.
Gyeongbokgung Palace is burned down during the Japanese Invasions.
  1865 (the second year of King Gojong)
1867 (the fourth year of King Gojong)

1867 (the fifth year of King Gojong)

1873 (the 10th year of King Gojong)
1876 (the 13th year of King Gojong)
The reconstruction of Gyeongbokgung Palace begins.
The reconstruction of Gyeongbokgung Palace is completed. The king receives respects from his court officials at Geunjeongjeon Hall.
The king officially moves back from Changdeokgung Palace to Gyeongbokgung Palace.
Geoncheonggung Palace Residence is built in Gyeongbokgung Palace.
A large number of buildings are destroyed by fire. Jagyeongjeon Hall is rebuilt.






The Joseon Production Promotion Exhibition is held to commemorate the fifth anniversary of Japanese occupation. The museum of the Japanese Government-General of Korea is completed.
The construction of the headquarters of the Japanese Government - General of Korea Gwanghwamun Gate is moved to the east of the Palace.
Gyeongbokgung Palace is opened to the public.
Gwanghwamun Gate is restored.
Yeongchumun Gate is restored and Dongjeongmun Gate is built.
The walls surrounding the king's sleeping quarters (Gangnyeongjeon Hall) and the queen's quarters (Gyotaejeon Hall) are restored.
Heumgyeonggak Pavilion is restored. The National Museum of Korea is moved. The demolition of the headquarters of the Japanese Government-General in Korea begins.
The demolition of the headquarters of the Japanese Government-General of Korea is completed.
The Crown Prince's Compound is restored (Jaseondang Hall and Bihyeongak Pavilion).


Heungnyemun Gate, Yuhwamun Gate and Yeongjegyo Bridge are restored.
The main pillars of the Throne Hall are replaced and the entire building is re-roofed.
The eastern wall of Gyeonghoeru Pavilion is restored.
Gwanghwamun Gate is restored.
Visitor Information About the Palace Preview Gyeongbokgung Palace Office
161. Sajik-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul, 110-820, Republic of Korea. Tel : 82-2-3700-3900. Fax : 82-2-3700-3909.